On the evening of 12/12/12, my best friend asked me to marry him and I said YES!!
It was the most perfect night. We'd had a great day out and about seeing the sights of beautiful Salt Lake, and the whole day Chase had been super excited to take me to his favourite restauarant, but he wouldn't tell me it's name or much about it. It turned out to be the most beautiful place, overlooking the temple at the top of the Joseph Smith building. The view was so breathtaking as the sun was setting and all the temple lights came on I said right then 'Oh Chase, you should have proposed to me right here.. this is perfect' little did i know!! ..We enjoyed a really posh dinner with a professional pianist playing christmas and show tunes, some of them we knew and hummed along just looking at each other with lots of smiles. We had the most perfect desserts! I've never seen so many.. that were all so good! It was buffet style so we were super stuffed by the time we left. Chase had asked me to dress up nice, but to his disadvantage.. I was wearing 6 inch heels and his plan was to take a walk after dinner, a walk! in those shoes! Ha, i just about managed it.. but not for as long as he was hoping.. But we managed a stroll around the temple grounds enjoying the beautiful lights, us dressed up to the nines, Chase was looking sharp in his suit and bowtie. All of a sudden someone gives me a fresh, long stemmed, red rose.. 5 minutes later another, then another, and another.. until I had 12 long stemmed perfect roses. I was torn between thinking people had overheard my accent and were buying them from a nearby rose stall.. and knowing what Chase was up to, but he had been telling me since I arrived in America that the ring wasn't ready and I'd believed him. So I took the roses and smiled and wondered what was going on.. everyone was staring at me and smiling knowingly, but then looking at my empty finger with confused faces. I was confused too! So I begged Chase to let me stop walking as my feet were in alot of pain.. so we went for a drive to see some lights. Then Chase had told me we were going to the theatre.. to see something to do with Phantom of the Opera, which is my favorite musical. We got to what I thought was the theatre super early and walked toward a dark building, turned a corner and I was faced with a long pathway lined with candles. I instantly started to well up, we walked down a cobbled path guided by soft candlelight towards a balcony overlooking a lake, with a wooden canopy. The canopy had photos tied to the roof. As we walked through the balcony, I got to see the pictures from our journey together so far.. times in YSA, trips we've made, random days out. Photos are such a big part of my life that I suddenly was overwhelmed with how much love I had for Chase and how I was so happy to have found him. Leaning against pillars and walls around us were empty photo frames. Chase led me down some stairs to the edge of the lake where there were hundreds of candles and lots more empty frames. There was a bench, lit up by the candles. Chase went ahead of me and got down on one knee.. and asked me to be his wife. His speech was beautiful, and I cried, alot. Then he pulled out the ring and I became his fiance!! I'm so excited for the next year to start planning our wedding and lives together. Excited to be his wife and absolutely over the moon with happiness that I get to spend eternity with my best friend.
So that's our story. I know, he did good!


No comments:
Post a Comment